Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A testimony writen by Dr. Bob Moorehead

In 1980 a young man from Rwanda was forced by his tribe to either renounce Christ or face certain death. He refused to renounce Christ, and he was killed on the spot. The night before he had written the following commitment which was found in his room:

“I’m part of the fellowship of the unashamed, the die has been cast, I have stepped over the line, the decision has been made- I’m a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I’m finished and done with low living, sight walking, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed vision, worldly talking, cheap giving & dwarfed goals.

My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way is rough, my companions are few, my guide is reliable, my mission is clear. I won’t give up, shut up, let up until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up for the cause of Jesus Christ.

I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till everyone knows, work till He stops me & when He comes for His own, He will have no trouble recognizing me because my banner will have been clear.”

I want this to be true of me too. This isn't usually preached in American pulpits. In America, pastors are more concerned about your finances than your soul, more concerned about preaching on the less offensive things of God, like "He loves you, and has a wonderful plan for your life!", without mentioning the reality of Hell, sin, and Judgement Day. Whats up with "Christian Careers"? Whatever happened to "sell all you have and come follow Me"? We have a window of opportunity now, as christians, to get the gospel out to save lost souls, and to live a life pleasing to God. The world too, has a window, and like ours, it is slowly closing. Theirs is a window to get saved, and ours a window to save and to "walk in a manner worthy of [our] calling".

Hebrews 12:1-2 says:

Thefore since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, despising the shame and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

To run the race, fixing my eyes on Jesus, letting the cares of this world fade away as I contend for the faith, and press on towards the upward calling of God; this is what I want. It is so easy to lose sight of living for God, and in light of eternity, knowing that the only things that will last are the things of God. But this reality is open to us when we submerge oursleves in the Word of God.

What drove a man like Paul to consider all he had ever had in comparision to Christ, dung? The writers of the New testament wrote with a passion, they were sold out to advancing the cause of Christ: Evangelising the world, and making disciples. They vehemently opposed herectics who came in damaging the flock of God. Like shepherds, they were out to protect their flock while leading them to Pasture. We too can live the pages of the Bible in our lives now, just selling ourselves out as "bond-slaves" of God, as pilgrims and sojourners in this world; Ambassadors of another Kingdom on a rescue mission. Lets not let the illusion of our "modern" world fool us any longer. They dont have the answers, God does. They don't have hope, we do, and only in God.

Pray, and ask God how you can make this passion a reality in your life. Don't be afraid to be "radical" or thorough in your examination of what is and isn't a worthy investment of your time and energy. Jesus asked radicals things of His followers, and every time a large crowd began to follow Him, He would turn around and say something "radical" to seperate the "sheep" from the "goats". He would say, "If you don't hate your mother and father, you can't be My disciple." No one will get to Heaven and wish they had invested more of their time, energy, and resources into the world. In reality, it will be the opposite. We will wish we would have invested more into God's kingdom. We will be absent many crowns that we would have had to cast before His feet in gratitude for His sacrifice.

"I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till everyone knows, work till He stops me and when He comes for His own, He will have no trouble recognizing me because my banner will have been clear.” Amen!

No comments: